Convention and Youth Summit
The Civic Engagement Project (CEP) is a call to action for youth who have been disconnected from school and the educational process. The CEP prescribes to Transformational Learning strategies, including historical research, analysis of current events, challenging discussions and disorienting experiences. Additionally, through purposeful reflection, students learn to use their voice to cultivate academic self-efficacy and motivational autonomy for learning.
The goals of the Civic Engagement Project are to provide select students opportunities to develop an awareness of and engagement in social and political issues that affect them and their communities, to increase civic participation; and to acquire political advocacy, and organizing experience using the 2019 Chicago elections as a theme. In so doing, students will connect their community issues to policy.
- Identify issues that impact their lives and their communities
- Choose an issue and develop a nuanced historical, political, and social understanding of the issue
- Propose policy demands to address the chosen issue and to impact community life
- Use a variety of social media to communicate/inform different audiences about their issue
- Develop/engage in actions to impact their issue
- Submit a portfolio of individual student artifacts that demonstrates an understanding of the issue
Environmental Justice · Gentrification/Affordable Housing · Policing/Public Safety · Voting Rights · Mental Health